Thursday, September 26, 2013

Happy Birthday Johnny Appleseed

Since I spend a whole week on each theme, this week we will be learning about who Johnny Appleseed was and explore apples. 

We read a fun book about Johnny Appleseed and made a pan hat just like him. I do this with my kids to get them excited for the week ahead:




I collected cereal boxes and cut them into rectangles/squares, and covered them up with foil. I had the children print their name. helped me staple the pot handle. we measured their heads and reenacted how to plant an apple tree.


For reinforcement on what we've learned, I normally play a short Youtube video, review any songs I've taught them, vocabulary or facts about our theme. 

I haven't met a child who doesn't like to watch movies/TV, so I find this to be a entertaining and an effective way to help the children remember about the days activities. Here is a Youtube clip I found and use in my classroom:




Do you teach the children any songs during this unit?

No comments:

Post a Comment